Yummy in my tummy!! These cookies are SO simple, and are very delicious! Simple, that’s what we all love right? Plus healthy, and if we can get a two for one deal here, I say GO FOR IT!!!!
The recipe was derived from the original recipe in the 21 Day Fix eating plan, back in the recipe section. In the book they are called Banana Oatmeal Cookies, buttttt since I added a personal touch to it, I changed to name to accommodate my recipe!
I think one secret I have to my cookies are the ingredients I use, more specifically, the CINNAMON I use! 😉
It isn’t widely known that there is more than one type of cinnamon out there. I personally didn’t know until I was at an organic/natural store the one day and they had two different kinds! This caught my eye so I asked the lady what the difference was. She explain briefly about how celyon cinnamon was the one I probably never heard of, and the other cinnamon was also known as “poor mans” cinnamon. That was about as far as she went into detail with that! But, of course I wanted to know MORE!! I especially wanted to know more when I used it, and it was AHHHHH-MAZING! I mean, the king of all cinnamon was now in my Shakeology that morning! So I looked into it a little bit more on my own!
I found out that there are 4 types of cinnamon: Ceylon, Cassia, Saigon, and Korintje. –SAY WHATTTT? There is this cool website called CinnamonVogue that I found out all this info!
So if you have cinnamon in your cabinet, it is more than likely Cassia cinnamon, which comes from the bark of a tree and is spicy, strong, and sometimes bitter. According to this website over 70% of americans have this type of cinnamon! But what makes Ceylon Cinnamon even more special is its low levels of something called Coumarin. What is that you ask? Well, Coumarin, put simply, is a substance that can cause liver damage, and in sever cases, liver failure! Not that any of us con sure NEAR enough cinnamon to have this happen, if it a very interesting fact about cinnamon!
Soooo to wrap that all up, I did use Ceylon Cinnamon in this recipe! Sooooo on to it thennn!!!
Cran-Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Serving: 2 cookies Serving Size: 8
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon (I used ceylon cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 Ripe Medium Bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a light coat of nonstick cooking spray on cookies sheet.
- In a small-medium sized bowl, mix together oats, cinnamon, and salt; mix well
- Add in mashed banana, dried cranberries, and chopped walnuts; mix thoroughly. — I used my hands since I didn’t pre-mash the bananas. Just make sure to wash them before and after!
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of mixture onto the sprayed cookie sheet, then flatten with a spatula.
- Place in oven and let bake for 14-16 minutes, or until firm. Pull out and Enjoy!!
If you are using this during the 21 Day Fix program, like other treats, 2 cookies (one serving) counts as a yellow container!